Education, Economic and Management Sciences, Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology, Law, Humanities, Veterinary Science, Natural and Agricultural Sciences, Health Sciences, Theology and Religion
The University of Pretoria (UP) was established in 1908 with just four professors and 32 students, in a little house called Kya Rosa. Today, it is one of the largest research universities in South Africa. UP has transformed into a dynamic university community of staff and students who come from a range of diverse backgrounds and cultures showcasing South African and global societies. The University was born from a vision to create a space for quality education and for new ideas to flourish. Over the course of its existence, and through different phases of political power and social change, UP has been resilient in its commitment to academic quality.
This has allowed us to establish a presence among the top 1,9% of universities worldwide. Our vision has always been to look forward, provide the best possible education for our students, and encourage them to go on to do great things. We are continuously transforming the corporate and research landscape through innovative thinking and the high calibre of our graduates. More than a quarter of a million alumni have passed through our doors. Many are on the path to success, while others have already become leaders in their fields both locally and internationally.
UP has grown to become one of the top universities on the continent, and we are proud that our reputation precedes our graduates around the world. Our story at UP is as much about where we have come from as where we are heading. It is a story of ongoing positive development, dedication to excellence, and striving to reach our goals with zeal, passion and perseverance.
To be a leading research‐intensive university in Africa, recognised internationally for its quality, relevance and impact, as also for developing people, creating knowledge and making a difference locally and globally.
In pursuing recognition and excellence in its core functions of research, teaching and learning, and integrating engagement with society and communities into these, the University of Pretoria will use quality, relevance, diversity and sustainability as its navigational markers.
- The members of the University of Pretoria believe that:
- – our community of scholars must be founded on the pursuit of knowledge through research, teaching and learning, with membership acquired on the basis of intellectual merit, ability and the potential for excellence; and that
- – differing perspectives, arising from diverse backgrounds and histories that define our identities, deepen scholarly inquiry and enrich academic debate.
- We cherish:
- – academic freedom, creative and innovative thought, ethical standards and integrity, accountability and social justice; and
- – our staff and students as the University’s core asset.
- We foster:
- – an inquiry‐led and evidence‐based approach to creating knowledge; and
- – academic citizenship, whereby we commit ourselves to harnessing our intellectual abilities in the interest of our nation and humanity.
- We recognise that:
- – in a resource‐constrained world where vast disparities remain, the University must endeavour to produce graduates who appreciate the importance of community service, entrepreneurial endeavours and innovative actions in generating employment and development in our local communities.
Make Today Matter. Study at UP.
The University of Pretoria (UP) is one of Africa’s top universities and the largest contact university in South Africa. We produce socially impactful research to find solutions for the world’s most pressing issues. We have a high quality of teaching and learning in the classroom, online, or in communities. We have support in place for our students to graduate on time as well-rounded, responsible citizens fully prepared for the world beyond university.